How to enjoy Banh Mi without the Bread!
This probably sounds completely counterintuitive to be able to enjoy Banh Mi without the bread. Especially considering that banh mi in Vietnamese translates as ‘bread’ on it’s own. But I couldn’t help myself and transition those ingredients from inside a crusty roll or sub, to a bowl. Regardless of grain or gluten insensitivities, sometimes I just feel like I don’t want to be weighed own by bread. And hey, I love veggies. I’d always prefer to double my veggie intake than take up precious tummy space with bread.
If that’s not you, that’s totally ok. You eat your banh mi (bread) with your bread! But importantly, the bowl option is just as tasty, just so you know. With this one, missing out on bread, isn’t missing out. If you want to add a grain free bread, try mine here. If you want the bowl to be grain free, remove the rice noodles and up the amount of leaves on your plate!
Both before and after travelling to Vietnam, I had been obsessed with banh mi. The combo of coriander, carrot, and pork is just lipsmackingly delicious. And I love adding extra chilli and spring onions. It’s just such a flavour sensation. There’s nothing subtle about it. There’s nothing that holds back.
And it’s absolutely one of my favourites as we move into the warmer months. Refreshing, fresh, full of flavour, and mouthwatering. Finally, just enjoy!
- Leftover pulled pork
- 1 carrot, julienned
- Red chilli, to taste
- Generous helping of mint leaves
- Generous helping of coriander leaves
- Spring onions, shredded
- Cucumber, sliced and deseeded
For the dressing
- Red chilli, finely diced, to taste
- Lime juice, to taste
- Fish sauce, to taste
- Stevia, to taste
- Crusty bread rolls
- Rice noodles
- Mayonnaise for your bread
- Pork pâtè
- Pickled daikon
- Assemble all ingredients in bowl
- Drizzle dressing over all
- Remember that the dressing and heat from chilli is all under your control, so add as little or as much as you like. The dressing ratios are somewhat up to your taste. If you don’t like fish sauce, reduce the amount and add more lime juice.
- Gluten free
- Sugar free
- Dairy free