My Delicious Berry Rhubarb Crumble!
If you’re still needing a little warming up late at night, this delicious and super simple dessert highlights the fruit of the season. A beautiful berry rhubarb crumble! When you can choose your favourite combo of fruits it doesn’t get much easier! Your family and loved ones will adore it. It’s tart and sweet! And even better works as a great alternative to pies for those trying to avoid the grains in pastries.
Rhubarb is abundant and in season in Australia for another couple weeks. Before I left for my honeymoon, the strawberries were booming! No matter if you’re a blueberry fiend like me, or a raspberry fan like my sister, you’ll be able to take advantage of the natural produce available right now.
Once you try this though, be warned. You’ll find yourself craving it all year round. In which case, frozen berries are always an option. And paired with whatever apples available, this can make an equally delicious treat. For those of the grain and gluten sensitive among us, you can substitute the almond flour for whatever nut meals you prefer. If you’re particularly fond of figs, like me, they would go perfectly, too!
- Rhubarb stalks
- Chunky diced granny smith apples
- 200g butter, cubed
- 100g almond flour
- 2tsp stevia
- Cinnamon to taste
- Your favourite berries
- If you love stone fruit as much as I do, consider recreating this when peaches, nectarines and apricots are in season
- Place all fruit in an oven safe baking dish
- Mix all together
- Using your fingertips combine the butter, flour, stevia, and cinnamon to a rough crumbly texture
- Poor crumble mixture evenly on top of fruit in dish
- Bake at 180 until the top begins to crisp and brown slightly
- Serve with fresh berries, ice cream, cream, or yoghurt
- Grain free
- Gluten free
- Refined sugar free