Shepherd’s Pie – Delicious and Super Healthy!
A beef or Shepherd’s pie is about as Australian as it gets. But with all that pastry it’s been a while since I’ve been able to enjoy one. That is, until I found out how unnecessary pastry is! I also love potatoes. As a twist, I’ve replaced it here with some mashed sweet potato! My favourite thing about this Shepherd’s Pie though, is that it utilises leftovers from the Beef Brisket you prepared on the weekend!
As it’s the last week of winter, with no real signs of getting warmer in Sydney, I thought this would be a quick and easy dish to make at the end of your busy work week. You definitely don’t need to add the cheese on top. But there’s something so satisfying about seeing the melty goodness bubbling away as you bring this Shepherd’s Pie to the table.
Tip: When you slow cook any meat, never throw away that cooking liquid. It is full of flavour and nutritional value! And it can form part of stocks, sauces, gravies. It can also serve as cooking liquids for other dishes through out the week!
- Pre-cooked sweet potato, mashed
- Leftover beef brisket, pulled with a fork
- 2 brown onion, chopped
- Leftover cooking liquids
- Parsley, chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Grated Cheddar for topping
- Switch the sweet potato for potato
- Add in whatever veggies you want to the beef mix
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- In a deep casserole dish pulled beef on the bottom.
- Add the onion and leftover cooking liquid.
- Top it with the mashed sweet potato and half the parsley.
- Sprinkle over some salt.
- Top with grated cheddar.
- Bake until cheese bubbling and browned.
- Serve and sprinkle over remaining parsley.
- Grain free
- Gluten free
- Refined sugar free
- Dairy free
- Paleo friendly